Veteran Specific NHS Services: What You Need To Know

When you leave the Armed Forces, your healthcare becomes the responsibility of the NHS, just as it is for the rest of the UK. In order to ensure you’re able to get the support you need when you need it, both physically and mentally, you should register with a GP as soon as possible. Where applicable, you should ensure that any medical notes from service are handed over too.

If you’ve been out of service for some time, it may be worth ensuring your GP or healthcare professionals know you’re a veteran, as there are specific services and pathways that are available to you. In this article, we’re going to be discussing three mental health pathways that you may not be aware of and how you can go about accessing them.


The Veterans’ Mental Health Transition, Intervention & Liaison Service

TILS is available to you if you’re a veteran or if you’re serving and approaching your discharge date and experiencing mental health difficulties. TILS can help identify and support mental ill health in a number of ways including providing access to therapy. They can also help with social issues such as housing and employment.

You can access tils using the following information. Or if you would like support with a TILS referral, speak to one of our Peer Support Workers today.

North of England, call 0303 123 1145 or


Midlands or East of England, call 0300 323 0137 or


London or South East England, call 020 3317 6818 or


South West England, call 0300 365 0300 or



The Veterans’ Mental Health Complex Treatment Service

The CTS is there to support veterans with mental health difficulties related to their service, that have not improved with previous treatment. You can access the CTS through an onward referral from TILS using the links above. The CTS can provide access to occupational and trauma focused therapies as well as support on a number of social issues including alcohol & substance misuse, housing, relationships, finances, physical health and employment. 


The Veterans’ Mental Health High Intensity Service

The HIS is a new service being rolled out in a series of pathfinders by NHS England, to support veterans and their families experiencing mental health crisis and in need of urgent help. 

All Call Signs is proud to be partnering with Solent NHS Trust, Walking With The Wounded and South Central Ambulance Service Foundation Trust to deliver the HIS pathfinder in the South East. The service will be rolled out in the South East in phases. If you’re in Hampshire & The Isle of Wight and you’d like to access the HIS, you can call NHS111 now and tell them you’re a veteran. 

Some advantages of accessing the High Intensity Service are: 

  • Peer Support Workers with lived experience of military life, available early, late and at weekend. 
  • Dedicated social support for issues including housing, employment, alcohol/drug misuse and finances. 
  • A joined-up social and clinical team to deliver better treatment for mental health issues.
  • Support for family members too. 

Support from the South East High Intensity Service will be available in Sussex, Surrey, Kent, Berkshire, Oxford and Buckinghamshire soon.


Accessing NHS Services

The best way to stay up to date with NHS services that are available for veterans, service personnel and family members is to ensure that your GP is aware of your service history. 

To do this, tell your GP you’re a veteran, ensure they have access to your service medical records and remind them of your veteran status whenever engaging for medical support, particularly when getting support for your mental health.

You can learn more about NHS services available for veterans on the NHS website.

Related Articles

Share This